Friday 28 June 2013

The Raven #3

Gyosai Kadan Nihen ca.1887
Art by Kawanabe Kyōsai

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly,
Though its answer little meaning - little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door -
Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as `Nevermore.'

The Ninth Stanza of Edgar Alan Poe's The Raven

Illustration for The Raven
by Gustave Doré 1883

Edgar Allan Poe, 1848
Photo: Edwin H. Manchester

3 comments:

  1. The author of "Eureka" has had a long-lived effect on me. I once visited Poe's cottage in the Bronx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the cottage on Wiki, Jonathan. I would never have thought of him living in such a small place in the New York area. - I really like the photograph of him taken by Edwin H. Manchester.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing the cottage has survived, though it was moved. I also like the combination of raven images here, with the Japanese work and the Doré angels.

    ReplyDelete